Understanding What To Do When It Comes To Water Damage Restoration
Posted on: Friday March 10, 2023 at 8:46 PM
When it comes to water damage, the cleanup, and restoration issues that may follow, there is no shortage of concerns that may be connected to it. Many types of water damage may come in contact with your Savannah home. These may include leaky pipes or clogged drains.
Water Damage Restoration In Savannah
In times like these, it is essential to know the Do’s and Don’ts of water damage restoration and how to repair your home in case you come in contact with any.
Don’ts That Need To Be Kept:
- Do NOT use any electrical equipment to clean up the water. Water and electricity never mix well, and it could be hazardous to you and the equipment.
- Do NOT come in contact with wet surfaces any more than necessary. This will minimize safety hazards and will keep you and your loved ones safe from any potential hazards.
- Do NOT adjust the indoor temperature or any other appliance unless instructed to do so by a certified restoration expert
Things That You Should DO!
- Contact an expert to help you turn off the water if you cannot do it yourself. Using professional help will ensure better results.
- Contact a Restoration company to remove standing water and inspect the damage. This will help them know how best to start the water damage repairs.
- If you can, without being unsafe, turn off circuit breakers supplying electricity to wet areas, unplug, and remove any small electrical devices currently located on wet carpets or other wet surfaces. As it was mentioned above, water and electricity are very dangerous together, and it is unsafe to be near them. Only proceed if you know that you are not in harm’s way.
- Remove and secure small furniture items as much as possible to prevent rust or stains and expedite restoration and repair.
- If you can, try to remove anything with ink on it (books, newspapers, pictures, etc.) from the place the water touched. This may seem like a silly task, but the ink can have lasting effects on your property and may not be able to be cleaned. It is also essential to be aware of any valuables you may have and, if possible, remove them from any potentially damaged areas. If that cannot be done safely, please wait for water damage restoration crews to arrive.
- Make plans for water damage cleanup crews to remove larger furniture items. Just like having a map to guide you during travel, having a safe and effective plan will help expedite the cleanup process.
Make sure to contact your local water damage cleanup professionals at Harper Special Services in the Savannah area as soon as you find the water damage. Our experienced team understands all the necessary steps to take to ensure your property and best take care of the situation in the best way possible. Be sure to follow these simple Do’s and Don’ts to help assist during the restoration process, before, during, and after.